Epics are used to contribute a structure to your backlog. They capture a large part of the work in a release. In this tutorial you will learn how to create and customize epics on Leanbe.
Steps to create epics
There are 3 ways to create epics on Leanbe.
1. Create epics by using the Create button
- From your Leanbe Dashboard click Create button and choose Create epic from the list.
- Fill in the following fields and click Create.
1) Title: give a title to your epic.
2) Description: insert some details about the epic such as Images, URLs, Tables, and Text. The content of the epics can be customized as per your needs using provided tools.
3) Status: set the status for your epic. The available options are:
4) Releases: select the release the epic relates to.
In order to choose the appropriate release, it needs to be created beforehand. Please, check this article for more details.
5) Objective: set up the objective for the epic.
6) Key Result: select the key result for the epic.
To be able to set up the objective and key result for the epic, ensure to create the OKR beforehand by following this article.
7) Tags: add tags to your epic.
More information about tags can be found here.
8) Start Date: select the start date for your epic.
9) End Date: set the end date for your epic.
10) Associated Personas: select the associated personas from the list.
The personas need to be created beforehand as shown in this article.
11) Visible in portal/widget: choose to show/hide epics on portal and/or widget.
12) Attachments: attach the files (maximum size of 10 MB per file) to the epic.
2. Manually create epics from the Product section.
- From your Leanbe Dashboard open the Products section and click Epics. Right after, click Create epic.
- Fill in the required fields to create an epic.
3. Promote the ideas into epics
Another way to create epics is to promote the collected ideas into epics.
- From your Leanbe Dashboard navigate to the Discovery section and click Ideas.
- From the list select the idea you want to promote into the epic and click View.
- After, click Promote idea and fill in the required fields to create an epic.
Note: it is possible to import epics and cards from Jira/Trello to Leanbe using appropriate integrations as shown in the articles below:
Imported epics/cards can be found under the Epics from the Products section.
Steps to customize epics
Created epics can be found under the Epics from the Products section.
The following actions are available within the epics list:
View: click on the button to see the following information about the epic: Description, Created Date, Status, Releases, and Visibility.
Edit: simply use the button to edit the epic.
Delete: click on the button to delete the epic.
Steps to customize statuses of epics
It is possible to create, edit or delete the statutes of Epics.
By default, the following statuses are available: In Progress, To Do, Backlog and Done.
The statuses can be edited or deleted.
In order to create a new status, the following steps need to be taken:
- From your Leanbe Dashboard open the Settings tab and click Product settings.
- Navigate to the Epics section and click Create status.
- Set up the Status name, Status type, Color and click Create.
- The created status will be available within the status list and can be Edited or Deleted along with the other statuses. Moreover, it is possible to change the order of the epic statuses to be shown inside the private roadmap by using the drag and drop method.
That's it. Those were the steps to create and customize epics.